[Cob] Silverfish, Tornadoes, and Humidity -- and roof!

CarmenKittieCat at aol.com CarmenKittieCat at aol.com
Thu Mar 17 19:21:30 CST 2005

ap615 wrote: (snip)"...I'd guess we should build our overhangs and do our
best to tie the roofs on to the rest of the buildings, using the same strategies
 as conventional building."(snip)

Would that be what the chains on this cob cottage are for?
_http://www.cobworks.com/images/hilde/hildesoutsidehighview.jpg_
(http://www.cobworks.com/images/hilde/hildesoutsidehighview.jpg)  To  hold the roof to the ground? How
effective would chains be? I don't think a  tornado would care about two
(relatively) little chains ... they have to be  for something else. My fiance and I
wondered if the chains served some  practical purpose or if they were just
decoration. I think that cottage looks  like a cute little toadstool, especially from
this view: _http://www.cobworks.com/images/hilde/hildesoutsidefrontdoor.jpg_
(http://www.cobworks.com/images/hilde/hildesoutsidefrontdoor.jpg)  What  kind
of roof is that and is it very difficult to do? It looks almost like it is
rather precariously balanced, and yet it also looks very solid.

Thanks again,
Carmen