[Cob] Foundation trenches

Lance Collins collinsl at bigpond.net.au
Mon Mar 21 18:38:13 CST 2005

>Shannon wrote:
>Of course if I'd had the really hard soil that some people do, that
>excavator might have started looking alot more enticing.

When pushing the excavator idea I'd partly forgotten what sandy loam is
like.   Many years ago when I lived on sandy soil I went for a walk at 8am
and came back at 9.   When I returned I was amazed to see a trench which
had appeared from the back of the house down to my garage.   I had engaged
an electrician to connect power to the garage and he told me that his
apprentice had dug the trench (by hand) and gone away while I was
out.   The trench was about 9 inches wide, over a foot deep and about 40
feet long.

Where I am now is a little harder and I think my best tool is an electric
jack hammer with a spade bit and a tamping tool.  I can dig a post hole and
still have some energy left to lift the dirt out.  And when I've placed the
post the tamping tool packs the dirt back really well.  It's much better
than using the back end of a crowbar.   If you think that $150 was a bit
much to spend on an excavator then don't ask the cost of a jack
hammer.  (Just the tamping attachment was over a $100).  I'm not rich but
I'm happy to spend money to spare my old back.

I can't remember who said. "Poverty is no disgrace just ridiculously
inconvenient"

Lance

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.