[Cob] Bathtub ideas

joel cloud riorinotetsujin at warpmail.net
Wed Mar 30 14:15:13 CST 2005

I was thinking about the bathtub idea, and I like it too.

I am thinking this way:  Bathtub is an extreme microchasm
of an exterior wall in a storm or high humidity.  The wall
has a certain moisture capacity that is safe, and if it
breathes, then it will dry.  Lime does a good job of protecting
the exterior wall, and in between hurricanes, the wall dries.

So think of a standard claw-foot cast-iron tub.  What if your
cob tubs have feet to allow airflow underneath.  Then the
'wall' can release moisture at it's acceptable rate.  Could it
be therefore theoretically possible to have the oil finish
be good enough for the cob to absorb very little water, and
then the airflow underneath be increased to the point that
it allows the tub to dry?

Next thought, I've been trying to find a good recipie for
varnish.  I am thinking linseed oil + pine resin = better
more waterproof finish than oil alone?  What do you think?
I have seen some recipies for straight 'rosin' or unadulterated
goo escaping from a gash in the side of your favorite pine tree.
Resin from the store is probably synthetic, but if real it is
fractionally distilled 'rosin.'  There are recipies for using
the straight tree goo.  I'd like to do a test, but it is hard
in a giant urban area without access to raw materials....
(Los Angeles city limits)

Last thought, I read about the idea of a clay house that is fired.
What if we take the clay we would use for a cob tub, and form it
in the correct organically flowing water holding bathing space
then build a bonfire around it.  You have an interesting tea cup
to bathe in?

Just some thoughts.

Joel Cloud