[Cob] Re: Robotic house builder

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Wed Apr 6 12:13:02 CDT 2005

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005, Rob Bolman wrote:

> Shannon,
>
> Please forward this to the cob list.  I've always wanted to see
> something like this to produce cob structures.... except perhaps not so
> fully automated.
>
> Take  care,
> Rob
>
> This article describes a machine that extrudes concrete walls,
> potentially of any shape (see the picture on page two), one layer at a
> time. I thought you'd find it interesting.
>
> http://www.discover.com/issues/apr-05/features/whole-house-machine/

There have been a few other machines like this showing up over the last
year or two, at least one of them was using a fair bit of earth in the
mix, though I don't recall any including straw and I think all of them had
at least some cement in their mixes.  It does at least present a possible
approach for taking cob more into the mainstream, though a cob based
machine would probably be quite a bit more difficult.