[Cob] Re: ground sleeping composting toilets

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 8 00:16:49 CDT 2005

You might need less than you think to be comfortable.  You'll probably have
to take a folding chair, both comfortable AND easy to get into and out of.

A van (first choice)  or pickup with a topper or a station wagon (even car
with a fold-down back seat) might give you a place to sleep in relative
comfort, especially with one of those biggish inflatable air mattresses.
Rigging an open truck bed to be OK in case of showers is a pain.  I've
done it, but it is.

Composting toilets can be as simple as a pair of 5-gallon buckets, one half
filled with sawdust, the other one starting out with only an inch or so in
it, takes care of the everything--especially if you can bring a
screen--cheapest possible tarp cut in half--so it's somewhere around 3 or 4
feet high, some twine and 3 or 4 of those step-on fence posts that they use
with electric fences does just fine.  Bass Pro Shops (I think--them or
Cabela) has toilet seats that fit 5-gallon buckets--may have to be ordered.

Or the people who are in charge there may put out some fence-posts with
tarps, and their own composting toilets (as mentioned above).  I've done
that, keep the toilet paper in the pure sawdust bucket--it's covered.

Liberty Tennessee seems to be not quite 2/3 of the way from Lebanon to
Smithville, by the way.  Probably not too far from U.S. highway 70 (not to
be confused with either 70 north, or 70 south.  Both exist somewhere in
there.

Francine wrote
  Well, you took the words right out of my mouth.  I wasn't
gonna mention the outhouse thing in the middle of the
night.  But osteopenia and arthritis make a comfortable bed
and a very close  private bathroom a necessity.  I miss the
time when I wouldn't have given it a second thought tho -
in earlier years I slept on the ground and in a sleeping
bag plenty of times.  The last time I visited an outhouse
in the middle of the night I was 17.

In all fairness, I have to say the fellow that responded to
my email inquiry is very nice and wants to know what I need
so that I can attend.  He's gone out of his way to try and
help, Really hate to tell him that I cannot.  So anyone
wanting to go to this workshop in TN should know that if
you are disabled or have any special needs, they seem to be
willing to try and do what they can to help. I understand
from what I read on the web that the instructors from
Kleiwerks are very good.

--- dirtcheapbuilder-Charmaine Taylor <tms at northcoast.com>
wrote:

 >   Peeing at night was a whole nother adventure... I gave
 > up taking a
 > lantern all the way to the weedy patch where the plastic
 > portapotty
 > was, and just squatted in the bushes.  wouldn't you knwo
 > some one walks
 > up at that exact moment at 5:am?    too much fo me.. that
 > was it!!
 >
 > I BET you have had similar adventures?

God Bless America

Francine