[Cob] Patio of cob? lime stabilized

dirtcheapbuilder-Charmaine Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Sun Apr 10 11:40:02 CDT 2005

Clint--well...considering the entire  Dallas Ft Worth airport runways
are all stabilized lime and clay.. I'd say so.  there are hundreds of
miles of runway that planes land on...still funcitoning since the 1970s
when they built it.

  if you allow room/slope for drainage that is best.

it would not be an actual COB or adobe  and lime floor, but you would
till the earth, and then compact it using lime as an additive, and tamp
smooth.   I have an article somewhere that explains this entire
construction process.  on a small scale it could be done.

There are so many weedy parts to my little 1/3 acre that I am very
tempted to do this too.

another option is to lay scrap tiles, slates into the mix while setting
up and protect the top layer a bit more from the rain.
  Having a rock border sounds nice as long as water can get out.

  email me off line about the articles on doing this

Charmaine Taylor Publishing    books at dirtcheapbuilder.com
PO Box 375 Cutten CA  95534 USA  -- 707-441-1632
www.dirtcheapbuilder.com  &  www.papercrete.com
New& Used books: www.biblio.com