[Cob] Re: Patio, Airport Runway

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 12 07:45:49 CDT 2005

Drat, I sent the message just to Pack.

Lignosulfate, for those of us who'd never heard of it (definitely including
me) seems to be a byproduct of the paper making industry.  First page of a
search turned up a Chinese company anxious to do business with the U.S.,
despite all the paper mills fouling the air and water in the southeast.

Seems to be used, among many other things, in going from powdered to
pelletized lime, and (probably as sulfur-free lignin) in making charcoal
briquettes.
Pack wrote:
Charmaine, I'd be interested in knowing how the Dallas Ft. Worth

Airport runways are built.  I've been making samples and testing how clay
soil is

stabilized with lignosulfonate.  THis is a product that my local county road
crew uses

to spray on dirt roads to keep the dust down and harden the surface.  I'd
like to make

a hardened, soil patio around my earthen oven and dont have the budget for
brick,

stone, etc....

pack

  -------------------------------------:^)>

[snip]

From: dirtcheapbuilder-Charmaine Taylor <tms at northcoast.com>
Subject: Re: [Cob] Patio of cob? lime stabilized

Clint--well...considering the entire Dallas Ft Worth airport runways
are all stabilized lime and clay.. I'd say so. there are hundreds of
miles of runway that planes land on...still funcitoning since the 1970s
when they built it.

it would not be an actual COB or adobe and lime floor, but you would
till the earth, and then compact it using lime as an additive, and tamp
smooth. I have an article somewhere that explains this entire
construction process. on a small scale it could be done.