[Cob] rubble trench foundation questions

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sun May 1 19:57:34 CDT 2005

I don't have a good handle on what you need structurally.  The time I did
one, the drain--only about 18 inches down--did drain to daylight, which is
the whole point of having a drain there.  On top of that we tamped smalish
gravel until the ground rang, then foundation/stemwall, then building.  But
our posts were a couple of feet OUTSIDE of the building so the overhang was
well supported.  So far, it's OK, and it was log, not straw bale, and we are
having fewer and fewer serious winters (now that I've said that, I may be
able to try out the snowshoes next year!).

My soil was a mixture of silt blown many hundreds of miles from the Dust
Bowl (according to the septic tank inspector) and rocks.

Check on AGS or PAHS.  AGS isn't so space-consuming.  The idea is that you
use up summer heat in the winter, when you run cold in for the summer.

www.greenershelter.com

James wrote:

Hi, here in N central Washington we are building a post and beam straw bale
house with cob interior walls and floor. Local inspector okayed a 2'X2'
rubble trench foundation with 4"drain pipe, with the posts on 10"X34"X34"
footings integral to the inside edge of this trench, but when we started
digging we found one corner of the house 2' lower (so our "trench" ended
being at grade!) We plan to berm it with 2' of loam up against the 3' of 2"
rigid foam on the outside surface (top 1' being a 12" X16" bondbeam), and
have gravel on the inside (sub floor - insulated only for the first 8' on
the southside of the living rm. with 2" foam under the floor). My question
is; should Can you run we dig deeper on the low side (hard to do at this
point, and just increasing the thermal mass more - see concern below)? or
insulate more (1"X24") with a winged/skirt around the whole
perimeter(expensive but doable)?

Some factors; the site is dry but on fine clay below 2' of loam, I'm
conerned about the trench and the post footings being just on this loam. I'm
also conerned about the increased thermal mass that the extra gravel fill
has added to the house. Should I insulate under the whole house to reduce
this mass (with 1.5" foam)? - we have a great passive solar site but it is
the great NW after all and often snowy/cloudy in the winter with temps down
to -35 F.... I'm worried about the house becoming a cold heat sink, only a
good thing in the 100+ degree summers.

Any thoughts, or similar experiences? Thanks for your help - in advance!
James