[Cob] cobber's thumbs

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Tue May 3 12:02:00 CDT 2005

I'm not sure about this whole concept of "making" cobber's thumbs,
personally, when I need one (and my thumbs won't do), I just grab the
nearest stick (usually dead fall from nearby trees, or remnants from
clearing the building site) that's about 1" in diameter, whack off about a
one foot length with a machette, grab it in the middle, and start using
it. every once in a while when it starts looking kind of pointy (the cob
will grind it into a pointed tip over time), I grab the machette whack off
the tip and keep using it (you really want a blunt tip so that the straw
fibers will get pushed into the layer below, a pointed tip will be more
likely to go between the fibers without really interlocking the layers).
When the stick gets to short, I find another one.

FWIW.