[Cob] Tropical Cob

Aurora Levins Morales aurora at historica.us
Mon May 9 18:07:26 CDT 2005

Hi folks--
	I'm brand new, and have been silently reading for a while.
My brother and I want to build a cob house on our land in Puerto
Rico, where there's lots of clay, sand has to be purchased, and the
most abundant local plant fiber is from banana plants.  Bananas are
related to jute, so stalk fiber should work, but it would be great to
know if anyone's tried other fibers besides actual straw, which is
not easy to get in the mountains of Puerto Rico.
	It's clear from reading other posts that we need a raised
foundation and big eaves to cope with the heavy rain and high general
humidity.  Fortunately, our childhood house was built on a six foot
thick slab of cement, and if we dig out around it, we should be able
to keep water running away from the house. We also have bamboo and
some Honduran pine on the land.  Any other thoughts about tropical
construction?
	Thanks, Aurora
--
Aurora Levins Morales, Ph. D.