[Cob] cob on the east coast

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Mon May 9 18:15:54 CDT 2005

It depends on who you are, how you learn.  You'd get to stomp some mixes,
learn something about cob sculpture, get some muscle memory for what the
stuff feels like for when it comes time to mix your own.

The cob ovens have a clay/sand (or grog) layer that eventually low-fires, a
cob mix layer and then plaster--which you might not get to on a workshop.
You'd probably see, if not assist in, a foundation, maybe a roof.

It may be, however, a simple enough project that you could just do your
own--"hey everybody, come help me build a cob oven."

I do know people who claim they don't learn well in a class/workshop
setting.  They'd rather read the book.  I'm not one of them, even if I am a
book addict.  I need to have muscles working.  It's what I remember years
later.

And if you really want to overdose on natural building, you could go to the
colloquium in Bath, New York that Ed posted the notice for this morning.
>From Mark Piepkorn's pictures, last year was WONDERFUL.
Jill wrote:
I'm beginning to think about a cob workshop vacation next year. I'd like to
eventually make it out to a Cob Cottage Company workshop, but would like to
take one closer to home first.

Are there any "basics of cob" type workshops routinely taught somewhere east
of the Mississippi?

Also, how much do you learn in a "bread oven" workshop that's applicable to
cob houses?

Thanks.