[Cob] cobbale

JUDITH WILLIAMS williams_judith at hotmail.com
Wed May 11 00:02:52 CDT 2005

I think I may have missed some of the discussion of cobbale. I don't
necissarily want to rush the building of my house but if I could shave some
time off by using bales on the north side I would like to try it. I've been
interested in straw bale construction since I first saw an article about it
in the Santa Fe paper about 12 years ago. But after I learned about cob it
seemed so much more doable for me working alone most of the time. So my
question is: if you use bales as the middle of your cob sandwich do you
still have to do all the extra work like pinning the bales and using a bond
beam etc? That just seemed like too much engineering to me. I'm thinking of
the video (the name escapes me now but it's the one that just came out).
I've had help this week so am almost done with my trench for footings. I
think I'll have to take a day off tomorrow. My guest is hobbling around and
has moved his departure date up a couple of days.