[Cob] Re: Linseed oil and Bee's Wax

Pack McKibben gakayaker at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 10 19:57:46 CDT 2005

I should be a little more discriptive about what I
called "cracks". I meant indentations in the
floor. All cracks were sealed before the first
coat of linseed oil.  The yellow-ish paste I
made from 2 parts oil and 1 part bee's wax is
very dull on the surface of the floor and yellow
in these "indentations".  I am going to try to
find a buffing machine or hand drill buffing pad
to heat up the floor by friction, and hopefully
polish the floor. I don't mind seeing the yellow
in the indentations if the overall appearance is
polished looking.  At least that's what I was
going for in the first place.  I'm not opposed to
something a little different. Just following the
book, so to speak...
The wax completely melted in the linseed oil while
on the stove.  When this liquid was placed on the
floor, the cool floor immediately caused the warm
liquid to solidify into a yellow waxy paste. Rubbing
until my arms almost fell off still didn't make a
polished look.  Only a dull floor with yellow wax
in the indentations.

[snip]...from Shannon....
 It's been a while since I last did this (some day I
should stop experimenting and just do something the
normal way :-)  but as I recall, we completely melted
the bees wax in the linseed oil and applied it while
it was still liquid, using a couple of rags to buff
and move any excess into areas we hadn't yet applied
the mix to (this was the only buffing we
did, though I don't think our surface was quite as
polished looking as some I've seen, it looked quite
good to me).  It sounds like you might
just have to much of the mix on the floor.  The
cracks you are referring to, are they in the floor
surface or just where it joins with the walls?
Any significant cracks should have been patched
before sealing the floor,
and any minor/hairline cracks should have been
completely filled/sealed by
the linseed oil so that there are no actual physical
cracks in the surface
(though they may still be visible though the linseed
oil).  Given the
state of things as you describe them, buffing with
the drill might be a good choice.