[Cob] Linseed oil and Bee's Wax

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Fri Jun 10 20:08:42 CDT 2005

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 Raduazo at aol.com wrote:

> I did just two coats of boiled linseed oil and two coats of oil based
> urethane. It is not as natural but it looks great, and went on fast.
> Ed

It is important to keep in mind that the linseed oil is not just a sealer
for the floor, it is also a binder and significantly increases the
strength and integrity of the floor surface.  I do not know how much each
successive coat of linseed oil adds to the strength, but a significant
reduction in the number of coats may also reduce it's ability to handle
point loads without damage (heels, chair/table legs, etc.).  I've been
hearing people talking about five and fewer coats these days, but years
ago, seven was the recommended amount (by as I recall, a woman who had
been doing these floors professionally in the Southwest for many years).
I don't know if this reduction is due to people finding that it's
sufficient, experimentation to see what will happen, or just cutting
corners, but it is something to consider when deciding how many coats of
linseed oil you will use on your floor.

FWIW.