[Cob] Re: Linseed oil and Bee's Wax

Bill&Julie wbates at mn.rr.com
Sun Jun 12 09:28:37 CDT 2005

Hello all,, In years past I would recount the old time recipe of
Bee's Wax, Turpentine,and Boiled Linseed Oil.

*Linseed oil
is an oil extracted from flax, and the term 'boiled' is misleading but very
important. Boiled linseed oil is not actually boiled, but rather oxygenated,
a process that changes the polymer structure of the oil, which causes it to
eventually dry and harden. Raw linseed oil will never dry, and does not
make a good finishing material. Even boiled linseed oil dries quite slowly,
and the addition of varnish or driers is common these days to speed drying
and provide faster build of the finish. *

One Lady on this list did ask me about it, and I sent her pictures
of an antique Lyre Back mirrored Dresser that I refinished with
it.

I don't know how people frindly the concoction is. But it was all they
had 100 years ago.
I found some links to other people that talk about the same ingredients.

I mixed some tung oil in my recipe, and it hardened like plastic.

http://www.wwch.org/Technique/Finishes/OilFin.htm

http://www.artmetal.com/brambush/forum/bramyak1/messages/18.html

http://www.mpnewspapers.com/nypacollector/features/288905451073118.php

http://www.cranfordpub.com/otis/on_varnish.htm

http://www.rachelssupply.com/bwax.htm

I found (a) wood finish recipe in the last one too.

For wood this is not for the faint:
An old finishers' adage concerning the application schedule for oil
finishes went as follows:

Once a day for a week
Once a week for a month
Once a month for a year
Once a year forever after.

But I will guess that if you use more turpentine,
or even Linseed oil in the mix, it will soak deeper
before it sets up. And made for a harder floor...

Googling ,, bill