[Cob] Drainage question

Georgie Donais georgie at busygirl.ca
Mon Jun 20 06:31:26 CDT 2005

All,

I am leading a cob courtyard wall project in my city. We dug a trench,
lined it with landsape fabric, and we just finished adding the drainage
system and gravel to the rubble trench foundation. For various reasons, I
added the gravel until it was six inches below the surface of the ground,
the minimum depth recommended, planning to start the urbanite stemwall
there. My problem is that I forgot to fold over/add the landscape fabric
until we were all done with the gravel. (I intended to do that at least two
inches below the final gravel, so that the urbanite would sit on top of
more gravel, not landscape fabric.)

My question is this: should I add more gravel over the fabric, bringing the
gravel up to four inches below the surface; scrape off some gravel, add the
fabric, and put the gravel back, or just put the concrete right on the
fabric? My next work party is tomorrow, so your timely expertise would be
appreciated!

Georgie
www.cobinthepark.ca