[Cob] wood & cob footings

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 20 06:52:35 CDT 2005

Charnaine's right--nothing is an option.  We want our houses to be
recyclable.  And if a fence post lasts for 35 years in your area, a big tree
will last longer.  And since it really doesn't take much to hold up a porch
(look up the tables for column strength}, you're probably fine for fifty or
more.

Buried in concrete, also an option., although if the concrete pillar ends at
ground level, the same organisms may apply.

Used to be able to soak pillar bottoms in penta or whatever, then install.
Don't think we do that any more.

But I think I've seen instructions for a raised concrete pillar (made with a
sonotube?) with a giant piece of rebar sticking out of it, and a
corresponding hole in the tree bottom (sounds a bit obscene).   Would be a
major hassle--lots of people and/or a crane) but probably the most
long-lasting, and the least visible connection.

The store-bought 4x or 6x clips aren't gorgeous.  And they wouldn't be easy
to make work for a bigger tree trunk, although one could hew one edge of the
bottom of the post down to fit the connector.
J Frost replies to Charmaine who replies to me (snipped):

this is slightly related:
I've always wondered how the connection is made at the base of the   "post"
or Pillar"  when I see photos of large tree trunks that have been
used  as the post on  porches etc.   they don't sink them in the ground,
  but what do they do?  anyone know?