[Cob] Cob R Value

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 20 22:21:28 CDT 2005

It gets a little complicated.   But I don't imagine that 24' cob wall has
only the same insulating value as a single pane of glass, which is roughly
R-1. It sounds a bit like there's a default value of 1 for anything not in
her computer program.

But.....

People have been arguing about "thermal mass" vs. "R-value" for years.  What
Ianto says in The Hand Sculpted House is that cob is great if you live in it
all winter.  Might not be so great if you are going to use it one weekend a
month in the winter, and it's on a north slope, etc. etc. etc.

How the house is designed counts a lot.  A whole lot.

I have friends who are thermal mass freaks, and I must say that their house
works well--they have insulation in the roof, not the concrete walls buried
partway into the ground, and not the dark-stained concrete floor agressive
south exposure, rarely use backup heating for the house--as opposed to the
biggish greenhouse a couple of hundred feet away.  Cob should be a better on
straight R-value than concrete, because of the straw, but it's still mostly
a thermal mass house.  (it's 25 years old, so don't get too exited about how
horrible concrete is).

Might take a look at this site for some more discussion of the subject.

http://www.monolithic.com/plan_design/rfairy/

Steve wrote:
Hi Cobbers,

We have an home energy consultant reviewing our cob house plans. She wants
to know the R value of cob. I heard around 0.7/inch, but only anecdotally.
Does anyone know of any tests or work done to come up with an accurate range
for R? To contrast the consultant had heard the value was closer to R1 for a
24" wall.

Thanks,

Steve