[Cob] wood & cob footings

Yun Que yunk88 at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 22 09:18:04 CDT 2005

   Cat here!

   On my farm their is an old old building that was used as a foundry
   about 75 years ago.  It was a stick build rough lumber yankee frame
   construction and set on big 12X12 hand cut timbers that are in perfect
   almost petrefied shape.  I don't know what kind of wood but it's been
   my observation that many of the structures were made of a catch mit of
   lumber they cut off the hills.  I figure an oak of some kind.  They
   mounded rubble up and added clay so the building was set up about a
   foot then set in the timbers right on the mound and packed dirt (I
   don't think they were too careful about what they put into the floor)
   into the frame made by the sils.  They dug an open drain behind
   against the hill to catch the surface water down the hill and left all
   the trees in place.  It is a steep hill so the trees slow the water.
   a trench was still their in spite of the neglect for years and ran to
   the creek.  It became a natureal water way.  The roof exceeded the
   building and dripped into the open ditch keeping the water away from
   the foundation timbers.  The dirt floor was hard as a rock and dry and
   the timbers were solid and dry.  Why no tirmites ?  I don't know but
   the whole thing is in great shape!
   for the good of all C.