[Cob] Washington, DC Cob: Tiller made cob

Raduazo at aol.com Raduazo at aol.com
Sun Jul 24 10:10:47 CDT 2005

The cob wall at Tuckahoe Elementary  School
Tuckahoe Elementary School is considered to be one of the best in Fairfax
County Virginia because of its gardening program and special activities. The
plan is to build a 20-foot cob wall in the playground area using tiller cob and
I expect to move about a foot a day once to reach a modest 4-5 foot in height
 with various windows, niches and seating areas.
The area selected for the wall is a bit  challenging. It is a flood plane
where the water reaches a depth of 6 inches and  stays for hours or perhaps a day
or two till they unclog the French drain. I  have built a shallow foundation
about a foot deep at the most, tamped the soil  in the bottom and in one spot
where the soil was a little soft I pounded bricks  into the soil with a 40
pound log provided with a handle on one end. The trench  is now filled with
rubble and I have constructed a 16 inch high block wall on  the rubble and rounded
the edges with lime cement to make it look a little  less blockish.
The first day of construction is July 25,  2005. We will make this wet
probably because we have plenty of time  for it to dry. Then after a 28 day break we
will resume construction August 24,  27 and 30 at which time I hope that the
rough construction will be complete.  Finishing dates will be scheduled later.
The plan is to finish this wall with  paper plaster and boiled linseed oil.
Anyone interested in machine manufactured cob is  welcomed to stop by and
help. It should be a fairly easy day mixing and applying  about 1-2000 pounds of
cob.
Directions to Tuckahoe from Rout 66 take exit  69 onto Sycamore Street headed
 north. You will pass Tuckahoe park on your left. Take the first left after
the  park onto 26th street. Tuckahoe elementary school will be on your  left.
Park in the lot.
If you have questions give me a call Ed @  703-360-2316