[Cob] report from Serbia

Predrag Cvetkovic predragcv at ptt.yu
Tue Aug 16 17:09:56 CDT 2005

Dear cob friends,

I have promised to the group to report about my traveling to Sombor,
visiting old houses.
Unfortunately, here in Serbia we probably haven't got cob houses!
In Sombor, a nice town in the north of Serbia and in villages all around
there are many adobe and rammed earth houses. It was nice to see many
details but I can't be completely satisfied because I was searching for cob!
On the other side, traditionally building in central Serbia is earth and
chaff mixture between wooden plating (planks or sticks). A house has wooden
frames - oak beams, and the roof is covered by rather long, oval and heavy
tiles.
Foundations for those houses are made from stone, lime and sand. On slopes,
houses often have basements with stolen walls. You can see those houses in
almost any village (rarely in towns) but unfortunately very neglected.

I would like to hear your opinions about using cob instead of earth and
chaff in that type of house? Are the wooden frames an hindrance or not? I
would be sincerely thankful to any suggestion.

best regards
Predrag