[Cob] Jar Method?

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 17 10:39:02 CDT 2005

Silt, clay, sand all settle out at different rates.  So if you put some of
your sample in a jar, add water, leaving room to shake it up good, then let
it set for a day, you should have pretty well defined layers, with the clay
on top.  I have lots of silt down at the bottom of the hill, so I've had to
work what I thought was clay to make sure it really was.   Silt has very few
desirable building properties.

Here are the instructions from Becky Bee's book.

http://www.weblife.org/cob/cob_043.html
Beno asks:
I just came across a post in the archives about the "jar method" for
determining clay content in soil. What is this? How does it work?