[Cob] Tires For a Foundation?

beno beno at web.vi
Sat Sep 17 12:47:11 CDT 2005

Someone commented that I would need to build the walls 20" tall before
cobbing to protect from moisture in case of flood. Sounds like good
advice. They also indicated that filling the tires with caliche stones
would spill out if the tires were stacked one on top of another.
However, having played a minute in Photoshop creating tires, I don't
think this appears to be much of an issue:
http://web.vi/tire_stack.jpg
Just use big rocks where the holes are. Furthermore, Michael Shealy has
built an entire house this way and rammed earth in instead of rocks:

http://www.touchtheearthranch.com/tirestart.htm
So, perhaps it's worth a try. Of course, I don't want to waste effort trying if it's in vain, so I await your experties.
Thanks,
beno