[Cob] Tires For a Foundation? what about toxic off-gassing?

dirtcheapbuilder-Charmaine Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Sun Sep 18 00:13:58 CDT 2005

I seriously doubt   vulcanized   rubber can "absorb" oil or   gasoline
( fumes which evaporate in open air.  )     Any dirt or  oil is simply
scrubbed off.

  what gasses does rubber ( or tires)  give off?  there is metal in
tires, but I think you are worried about something inert.

Now, a pile of  burning tires is a whole nother thing...but  tires
filled with stones or clay, buried?

   I stabilzed a   steep corner of my property with a really big tire, (
and 2 smaller ones flanking it) placed a huge stone inside and filled
with more stone and earth.   The  forest contractor on the property
behind me had "nipped" off the  edge of my property line with a back
hoe, and I had to build it up before a dog fence could be put in.   the
tires  had the top rim taken off, and  filled with a slurry of lime+
clay around the  smaller rocks to make a natural cement.  It's been 5
years and  there has been no change or erosion around that area.

I have another S facing sloped area which needs to be built up,  I was
thinking of using maybe a dozen  tires ( top rim off) lined up as a
long "step" in the lowest part.,, again filled with rubblestone, and
then overfilled with sandy clay. I need a low tech way to level an area
needed for back yard use.  in earthquakes the  stone filled tires will
ride out any movement, I can fill in with more clay-lime slurry and I
had planned to lay a bed of slates over the entire area to create a
passive solar mass storage area, and get a flat  useable "deck"  out f
it too.

Charmaine Taylor Publishing
   PO Box 375 Cutten CA  95534 USA  707-441-1632
www.dirtcheapbuilder.com    www.papercrete.com