[Cob] Straw's Out. How About Palm Leaves?

Dognyard dognyard at stockroom.ca
Thu Sep 22 12:36:39 CDT 2005

Maybe this will help:

http://faculty.ucr.edu/~legneref/botany/fibers.htm

Kind of in intersting site anyway.

I was wondering if, in view of a lack of useable fiber material to mix
into the cob, if one couldn't just go with a type of wattle and
daub...using bamboo or willow or other type of wood to build a matrix
and just daub the clay on...that too was done in a lot of "hut"
building. It would also help to safeguard the unit from total collapse
in the face of any onslaught from Mother Nature...or big bad wolves
huffing and puffing and trying to blow the house down....

I watched a program on tv...something about the worst jobs in the middle
ages. One of them was house building, and the only reason that it was
considered "icky" was that fresh sheep/goat/horse dung was gathered to
mix into the mud. It was then daubed onto a wattled wall.

So...I guess there are always choices!

Karen in Alberta