[Cob] lifting vigas (JUDITH WILLIAMS

Bill&Julie wkbjkb3 at mn.rr.com
Wed Sep 28 19:46:35 CDT 2005

Hello All,,,   OK,,,,   Here Is  " A " suggestion.

( I love Brain-storming )

This would be done at the onset of construction.
Lay the beams on the ground right below where they will end up.
Build the stem and cob wall around the beam, but not over it.
( each course would only be 1 or 2 feet )
As the wall and support pilasters harden enough to support weight,
use them to lift the beams. Once the beam is jacked to a higher level,
then fill in the wall underneath. After that is hard enough to take
the weight of the beam, release the jacks/ levers/ whatever.
And continue on with the surrounding walls and pilasters.

This way the wall GROWS under the beam, and the beam only
has to be lifted a foot or two feet at a time.

I could see myself doing this by myself. Although it would not
be smart with no-one around to laugh , or go for help...

*¿~  bill