[Cob] cob oven problem?

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Wed Oct 5 06:02:13 CDT 2005

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005, Monica Proulx wrote:

[snip]
> Does an outdoor cobbed oven take in air for combustion through the floor
> between the fire bricks during the baking cycle once the door is closed?
[snip]

Air for combustion in the basic oven comes in through the open door, once
the oven is hot, the coals are raked out of the oven, food is placed in
the oven for baking, and the door is closed to retain the heat.  Baking
occurs through the walls radiating back the heat they absorbed from the
fire.  There are a number of variations on the basic oven, some of which
include separate air intake and exhaust/chimney, so these may operate a
little differently, however, normally noting will come in from between the
bricks (unless someone wants to design it to operate that way).

Unless the source of odor is actually an integral part of the oven itself
(as opposed to it's foundation), I would be surprized if it had any effect
on the food, and even then, I would expect the first couple of firings
would burn out any source of order in close proximity to the fire.

FWIW.