[Cob] has anyone made their own quicklime?

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 12 17:34:55 CDT 2005

Roasted = quicklime, I'd guess.

Even small operations used to use kilns.  Why we have a Lime Kiln Road in
the county here.

If you don't transform the rock pretty completely you'll have nasty lime
putty, with pieces of stone in it.  Might be able to overcook it as well.

from the pottery people--here are two links, one talking about earthenware,
the other giving final termperatures for the cones.

http://www.claytimes.com/claybscs.htm

"Earthenware clay contains a percentage of iron and mineral impurities high
enough for it to mature at firing temperatures from "bonfire" heat at around
1300 degrees F, up to about 2120 degrees F (cone 018-cone 3*). In its raw
state, the presence of iron oxide makes this clay appear brown, red, gray,
or greenish. When fired, it's anything from red or tan to brown or black."

http://www.pbapottery.com/pdf/ConeTemperatureChart.pdf

I think I'd try to fire a piece of earthenware in the fireplace, maybe even
with a cone.   Earthenware will fire at "'bonfire' heat" so a piece of well
worked clay (no air bubbles, they can explode) should tell you a lot.  When
I picked up pieces of pre-Colombian pottery--earthenware, the lowest
temperature firing--in Mexico about half the time they looked very much like
they had not fired completely, distinct color change in the center of a
shard.

When I was a kid I'd try this, never got anything that I thought looked like
it was fired worth a flip.  Just well dried.  Of course this was in the
ashes at the bottom.

But remember that limestone will give off CO2 when it's heated.  Won't help
the burning process any.

Jon asked Robert:

Usually I'm not so pedantic, but since this is a fairly dangerous  process,
I'm going to request a little bit of proofreading/ clarification here:

>I make my lime putty from roasted limestone.  I buy it pre-roasted.
--Okay, where does one buy pre-roasted limestone?

\