[Cob] numbers

Mary Lou McFarland louiethefifth at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 26 12:05:44 CDT 2005

I have gotten out of the habit of listening to domestic news other than the
Lehrer report on PBS.  Most of what I saw on New Orleans was covered by BBC.
  According to them the original estimate of the dead  would run around
10,000 and twenty five thousand body bags were sent in.  Later I thought I
had heard that the end count was eleven thousand.  If I was wrong than I
apologize, but that being said, I would never count on our politically
motivated news programs to correctly report that number.  For instance, BBC
actually showed national guardsmen shooting "looters"  It was horrifying to
see.
On to Habitat for Humanity....keep in mind who is building the houses.  They
are regular folks with some assistance from local contractors who have only
ever done conventional stick building.  You can only do what you know how to
do, so to make a change than you have to change the knowledge available.
It's not perfect, but it's far better than getting stuck in a FEMA camper
until the next hurricane season rolls around.  I still believe that the
final answer will be general knowledge of alternative building methods so
that people know they have choices
I think I agree with Rob and I will just build a chicken coop and move in
before the chickens get there.  People will wonder about it and ask
questions and then the opportunity to educate them about other ways of doing
things will present itself.