[Cob] AE & Rub-R-Slate foundations and waterproofing

dirtcheapbuilder-Charmaine Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Mon Oct 31 20:32:15 CST 2005

On Oct 31, 2005, at 5:46 PM, Amanda Peck wrote:

> http://www.epdmcoatings.com/
>
> Could the same thing be done with asphalt emulsion?  That does tend to
> be inexpensive.

AMANDA, straight AE gets very hard when laid down in thin layers, and
may crack I would suspect.    there are many formulations sold as roof
and basement coating, put on with a brush, the stuff is very low
processed tar- bentonite clay and some fibers ( prolly nylon  type)
it is cheap 5 gallons is $22. here, but lower in bigger cities.
   regular AE:   FIRE FIGHTING MEASURES  FLASH POINT:  Water-based, not
applicable.  Will not burn until cured.

If clay is added to the AE mix, with some fiber, say paper or
cellulose, etc... then it is more rubbery..hence Rub-R-Slate, which
will  conform to any shape, edge, etc as the other stuff.

With the liquid rubber- the  VOCs . Naptha, and the flammability of it
is a concern. and  very low flash point 115F  ( I means, isn't a hot
tub 112 deg? The hot tub industry states that 109 degrees F is the
maximum temp that a spa should be set to)   really scares me.  once
applied it is prolly just fine.  the catalyst is Stoddard solvent...
smelly stuff...http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts79.html

I've used the Jack Bay's Rubberslate recipes with regular  AE  ( non
toxic    Black Jack or Henry 107
http://www.alliedbuilding.com/products/productDetail.asp?
ProductID=18380170   brand, fibered) and mixed with clay and sand,
paper pulp and been very happy. sawdust works great too.

for the curious her is a link to the info on it at  my site.
http://store.yahoo.com/dirtcheapbuilderbooks/rubles.html

Home made stuff can do the job, but the    super flat look of the EPDM
rubber is attractive too.

Charmaine Taylor Publishing
   www.paperartists.com
PO Box 375 Cutten CA  95534 USA  707-441-1632
www.dirtcheapbuilder.com    www.papercrete.com