[Cob] RE: Foundations and cob

Mary Lou McFarland louiethefifth at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 1 09:34:13 CST 2005

I'm getting confused on a couple of points about this question.  I would
consider what is below ground or below grade to be foundation.  On top of
the foundation would be the bond beam which would be the continuous circle
of concrete that holds the structure, more or less together during shifting
in the ground. Then would be the stem wall which is the rocks that go up
into the cob. (or urbanite if you are recycling)  I saw a special on cabin
in the canadian rockies and this old fellow said that the water protection
came from the height of the stem wall and that he would never build a cabin
on a stem wall less than eighteen inches tall.  This guy was like....ancient
so I suppose he has seen a lot of cabins in his time.  Don't forget that
wide roof overhang.    Okay, I'm getting off track.  Mean't to ask if their
concern was actually the foundation or the stem wall, since in the original
posting the foundation and the rocks that joined the cob were both
mentioned.