[Cob] Marlin's rubble trench

Peter Ellis dukegavin at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 1 16:15:38 CST 2005

It seems to me that the material in that trench isn't chosen just for its
loadbearing character - in fact, might even not be primarily for loadbearing
qualities.  I would expect that if it's not going to be a monolithic
waterproof block (say poured concrete with a waterproofing coating) that it
is very important for water to flow through it readily.

No matter how well the material can withstand compression, water freezing
and thawing within it *will* break it down.

I would go along with Marlin on this one.

Peter