[Cob] Marlin's rubble trench

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 1 21:08:27 CST 2005

Around here, I've been told that the ideal for a rubble trench is the 1" -2"
crushed limestone.  Not the bigger (although some mixed in with that seems
to pack down nicely), not the "crusher run" or "fines" or "roadbase," which
can pack down into something that will retain water.  My informants say that
the crushed stuff bonds to the surrounding soil better.  No information on
whether that is true.

by the way---

Footing--in modern building, something on the order of a nice pad of
generally reinforced concrete rougly 2x the width of the next layer
up--sometimes a little less than that if you have wide, light walls, e.g.,
straw bale.

Foundation--heavy duty pier or continuous layer--holds up the walls.  If
it's continuous it can also form the basement walls--needs to be waterproof.
  Modern practice is not to vent a continuous foundation but to provide
drainage outside of it.  Rubble trench--e.g., Marlin's river rock, or the
local here crushed rock does have masonry of one kind or another, stone or
urbanite for the most part from ground level--or just below, on up.  Needs
to be the width of the base of the walls.  May or may not be reinforced.
Depending on who you are, you may or may not feel the need of a bond beam
above that (yes, generally, with straw bale, but you'd be hard pressed to do
that with some of the stemwalls for cob houses)

Marlin wrote:
We used 'river stone' or washed stone - 1 , 1 1/2
inches usually...it's actually from glacial drop
around here.