[Cob] Re: Foundations

Marlin Nissen marlin_nissen at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 2 11:47:14 CST 2005

I would totally agree with keeping the foundation as dry as possible....our RT are for allowing moisture an escape downward, providing a great supporting surface for very heavy Cob walls and NOT using any new portland cement if possible. Crushed limestone appears to be more temporary as a foundation then I would want when going to all the work of digging and filling a RT foundation.

>From our perspective, Not locking together of the stones is precisely the point of a drainage rubble trench...water that gets in can get to the bottom of the trench and below the heave line. In a cold climate that is what I would want as heave is the number one problem around here with foundations. I can't speak for california, maybe massive concrete foundations would be the best, but that would be unfortunate from an environmental perspective. I know that some of the rubble trenches that I've read about have fallen apart due to becoming mud over time (i.e. indistinguishable from a support situation from the soil around it) and that wouldn't happen with glacial stone which compacts only enuff to find it's settling point and really never breaks down.

As for the above grade part I found it interesting to contemplate how Cob actually holds the disparate units (stone or concrete chunks) together, maybe even more then the mortar around them does. On the Willy St. Co-op wall we used Roman concrete mortar(lime/pozzolan/sand) around the cement chunks that sit on top of the stone and were told that that wouldn't work either, so far so good.

Marlin

Barbara Roemer <roemiller at infostations.net> wrote:

I must be missing something in the current discussion of foundations. I
don't want any water to move through my foundations (I'd bet that Falling
Water overhangs the stream, and that the foundations were very well
protected from its water) even if it were all concrete, since concrete wicks
moisture up eight stories. Water moving through the soil is the primary
means by which the soil beneath and surrounding your structure is cooled,
and therefore cools your home (not to speak of erosion and undermining).
Keeping that soil, your foundations, and your walls dry will make your home
much more comfortable and last longer, and do it with far less cost for
heating than damp soil. So I think drainage is imperative, both in the
bottom of the trench, and out from it if you have slope or moving water or
both.

Of rubble trenches, my understanding is that the rubble replaces some of the
concrete, but that the foundation still needs to be sound, and whatever
replacement elements you use need to be bound with concrete: it supports the
walls, excludes critters and water, and in heating climates, keeps out the
cold, to one degree or another. To those ends, it's not advisable to use
river stone since it doesn't lock together when it's compacted. Crushed
sharp stone is what you want. For foils who want more definitive answers
about how to do a rubble trench foundation, there's a short article and a
great drawing in the wonderful book, "The Art of Natural Building" by Joseph
Kennedy, Michael Smith (yep, of cob wonders), and I think Dan Chiras. The
particular article is written by Canadian Rob Tom, the list mom on the Yahoo
straw bale list, and an expert on RT Foundations. We used it on our straw
bale powerhouse, and have seen it used in Northern California on many sites,
both with cob and bale.

And if you want to really make your house independent of heating sources,
give it a good solar siting and investigate the Annualized Geo-Solar system
for excluding water from an umbrella around and under your house, and
insulating it so the whole area serves as a heat sink for the summer's hot
air. It works like a thermal flywheel, releasing that heat during the cold
season just where you need it, and at a rate that will last through the
winter until you have natural solar heating again. You can find info on AGS
at Don Stephens' site ( ), and a frequent
discussion of it on the organic architecture list from natural builders who
are using the system.