[Cob] Fallingwater's foundation

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 3 19:45:30 CST 2005

Thanks Charmaine--I didn't look too hard (be glad you're not near me, I may
be contagious) but mostly found recruitment posters for the Taliesin
architecture school.
Charmaine answered my questions (snipped a bit):

It is a stacked stone pier on both sides of the house, with cast cement
arches that  all sit on a huge stone shelf outcrop to support the front of
the house.  the floors in the house are laid stone, so I am guessing a
cement slab with rebar  was used to span the  piers.   The lower  outcrops
of stone in the stream  are like steps leading down the hill. It is a small
falls  called Bear  Run Falls.    the most amazing thin is to see the water
falls frozen!

  I adore this place,  but many architects refer to not as Falling Water,
but as Rising Damp, so it does not have a good reputation in the building
community

It was an overly ambitious project that shot up in cost enormously...it was
a clever idea to straddle the stream with the house..but has been a constant
problem ever since.