[Cob] Re: cob rumford fireplace

susan macias smacias at worldnet.att.net
Sat Nov 19 11:44:06 CST 2005

Thanks, Charmaine- I've been thinking about an horno with a chimney/vent for cleaner burning (another project.)  Most of the cob oven pictures I've seen have only the door opening.

As for the Rumford.....it needs a specific shape and size of throat and damper.   Those parts can be ordered from Superior clay, and the specs and instructions are on the rumford.com website.  Now, instead of firebrick, can the fireplace itself be made of cob?  What's the difference between a cob oven and a cob fireplace?

To set your minds at rest, this experiment will be for an outdoor fireplace.  I won't be building a residential fireplace for at least two years.
-susan