[Cob] its been a while

phil phawn1 at excite.com
Thu Dec 15 09:11:01 CST 2005

Hello all,

It has been a while since my last post (6 months) and a lot has changed.

I have gone back to school at the age of 40 to get my bachelors degree in Sustainability and Environmental Studies. I moved my family to Berea, KY to attend college at Berea College. They are a very small college (1550 students) and have a wonderful sustainability program. They even have an ecovillage for housing non-trad students and families where we are living.

At Berea all students must work in a labor position in return for free tuition and my labor position is in the SENS department. The best part is that for my job, I am responsible for building a garden shed that will showcase natural building techniques. This building will be very massive. It is six sided, will have a living roof and a greenhouse wall facing south. Two walls will be cordwood, and the other three constructed of cob, strawclay and earthbag. I will conduct workshops to teach these techniques to students and the public.

Unfortunately, the Natural Building Coalition did not survive my move and has fallen apart. I hope that someone will put it back together in the future.

I will post dates for workshops here at Berea when I have scheduled them. I hope some of you will be able to attend.

I will be looking for a masters program in sustainability in the next couple of years if anyone has info to share.

Phil Hawn, former President
The North Carolina Natural Building Coalition
(cob, strawbale, cordwood and other sustainable earthbuilding techniques) now defunct.

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com