[Cob] foundation, concrete

Predrag Cvetkovic predragcv at ptt.yu
Mon Jan 9 08:48:46 CST 2006

Hello Amanda and All

I hope this year I will be successful to find (and buy) a place where I can
begin building my natural home here in Serbia. Finding foundation extremely
important (and having a little fear of doing that without experience) I
would  like to consult you and the group about using/non using concrete and
some others important questions in building.
I understand that answers to many of my questions depend on building place
etc., but let we consider other sides of that problem. Stone foundations are
common in our tradition and my idea is to follow that (without concrete) for
a house of about 90 sq. meters (about 1000 sq. ft).
As a roof I would use something among more natural materials, if I can't
find other material, maybe using ceramics tiles.
About walls - I'm thinking of cob (pure cob :))

I must admit that I am sometimes confused about someone's choice for
building and compromises regarding that. Is it caused by accessibility,
price, quality...? I would not use concrete nor plastic. Is it realistic?

Your words bellow, what alternative to pure concrete would you use and what
would you recommend.
Others' inputs are welcome too!

regards
Predrag