[Cob] foundation, concrete

Predrag Cvetkovic predragcv at ptt.yu
Tue Jan 10 03:35:49 CST 2006

Hello Amanda
Thanks for your very helpful answers.
Regarding foundations, maybe to think about concrete grade beam to protect
the house from earthquakes? And than stone blocs on it, or cob directly?

Tile is very available here in Serbia.
It can be strange for others how much our people love to build houses, how
much money they spend to build their homes (in some of that new houses they
sometimes even don't live). But, it is a pity they rarely follow our
tradition, houses are often too large and ugly.

The idea about cob with the wattle and daub technique you have mentioned was
very interesting to me. Traditional building in Serbia use this technique,
but it is not pure cob, but chaff and clay. Of course, sand is already a
component of clay. It is maybe a good insulation but not as solid as cob is.
Walls in these houses are not too thick, often only about 8 in. or sometimes
thiner. It is maybe it needed much of labor work. The houses are very
pleasant to live in, excellent in summer, but not so warm in the winter, I
think there is a need for more thermal masses.
And also, our tradition use wooden pillars but cob building doesn't. Or we
can combine that?

I have promised to the group to send some pictures from here - I didn't
forget it and hope it will be possible to travel and take some pictures
during this year.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences
regards
Predrag