[Cob] foundation, concrete

Predrag Cvetkovic predragcv at ptt.yu
Tue Jan 10 13:30:31 CST 2006

Thanks again! I've tried to visit that URL, it seems the page doesn't exist
more, but I found other pages about professor Gernot Minke and his books.

I understand that nothing can help in a big earthquake, and I only would
like to prevent the house from smaller ones and from smaller earth slipping
(of course I should avoid choosing such places). In that case maybe grade
beam is not necessary?

I've already heard about "light clay" but your explanations were really very
helpful.
Regarding wattle and daub I must admit that I haven't got a sense how earth
and straw will stick to wattle (and plaster as well) and what will happen
years after that? It seems to me cob will better accept plastering then
wattle and daub or I am wrong?
My dilemma is also whether to use vertical bearer beams if I use cob or
light clay? As I can see through web, people don't use these. Or I would not
break cob structure and would add vertical beams only partially caught with
cob?

The idea about using roof to give potable water is also very interesting. I
was informed only about obtaining non potable water.

thanks for your patience and help
predrag