[Cob] insulation

Rodger Chenoweth rodger at nelsonbuddha.com
Tue Jan 17 16:47:12 CST 2006

Hi Roselle,
I just helped build a cob house that had it's north wall a double cob
wall cordwood hybrid.  18 inches thick, with 6 inches cob, 6 inches
sawdust/lime insulation, 6 inches cob... with the cob walls bound
together by cordwood (about 20 inches long each) that bridges the
three layers.  Personally, I think  strawbale is wonderful for cold
climates, but if it's a WET cold climate, then I think cob cordwood
is the way to go.

WAY less cob to mix, doesn't shrink like mortar would, and if it does
who cares, just patch it up with an earthen plaster.  The R value for
a 24 inch thick cordwood wall is in the region of 25-30, which is
about what code specifies.

The final look is gorgeous too, and the wood ends keep people/
furniture/dogs etc.. from hitting the cob so it's nicely protected.

AND IT BREATHES.

Cheers
Rodger