[Cob] insulation thread

Jon Kerr jonskerr at visi.com
Tue Jan 17 22:29:35 CST 2006

Very interesting discussion of insulation everybody!

I haven't heard anyone mention earth berms. As I understand it, there
are a couple approaches: dig the whole structure further down and put
your foundation at the bottom (essentially you'd have a house in a hole
with walkway down to and around the outside), or building up berms on
the outside.  My pie-in-the-sky dream is use this latter method to make
sort of de facto hobbit-hole. Dig the foundation down pretty deep and
take the soil and pile it on the outside angling all the way up to the

I don't know, however, if you can just shovel the dirt up against the
cob or if you have to leave an airspace and plaster inside of it or
what. Maybe even a layer of clay-straw between the berms and the cob.

Something to chew on anyway.

Jon