[Cob] Cob, pleaching and a living home

Kathryn Marsh kmarsh at iol.ie
Tue Jan 24 07:41:39 CST 2006

Seems like a lovely idea doesn't it. I've been making the occasional
willow structure for many years now and they are really, really
difficult to maintain - even a fence will turn into a jungle
overnight given half a chance and last week it took two of us several
days to hack our way through a play tunnel built for children only
three years ago - or at least to hack through it in a way that would
leave it in a navigable condition for the aforementioned tunnel. Four
members of my gardening class spent the whole morning pruning a seat
that had also been neglected for a whole year. A lot of the problem
comes from the fact that any tree that grows fast enough to weave
into a large structure also grows fast enough to simply swallow
anything within reach. The stems in the tunnel were an inch across
when they were planted three years ago and are three inches across
now. Windows do more than flex - they close up in only a few years,
and I've seen doors that were six feet across having to have a saw
taken to them after less than a dozen years. In fact I know a teepee
that was thirty feet high in eight years - the following year the
whole structure blew over in a gale - willow cracks easily. The idea
of a metal or plastic framework covered with vines seems more
practical in a suitable climate. But otherwise you would need to use
a slower growing species - which misses a lot of the point I think.

Frankly, if I'm going to combine cob and a woven structure I'll keep
the rooting end of the woven structure out of the ground and use it
support the cob I think

kathryn - just off to plant another length of willow fence - some
people never learn