[Cob] Land??

Lee Shultz Lee.Shultz at westrimcrafts.com
Mon Jan 30 14:47:55 CST 2006

Hi. I found the same problem here in Ojai, CA (near Santa Barbara, 70 miles north of LA). I love this area, but the cost of land is off the charts here. A number of people told me that there was a lot of alternative building going on in NM, and that the Silver City area was especially lovely. It's in southwest NM at an elevation of about 6000 ft. The landscape is a combination of high desert and the Gila National Forrest. The people are friendly and strawbale is common. I have friends in the area now and I bought 3.7 acres of land at a very reasonable price. I hope to start building in cob this year and I'd like to get it permitted completely. They are accustomed to earthen structures in NM and have code for adobe and rammed earth, and strawbale, of course.

I'll miss CA a lot, though. But that's how I solved the high cost of land problem.

Cheers,

Beverly Shultz