[Cob] Introduction & Cobber's Companion

Tom Gorman tom at honeychrome.com
Fri Feb 3 14:24:26 CST 2006

Hello-
I'm a new subscriber to this list and just recently 'discovered' cob
as an alternative means of building a home.  My partner and I have
been thinking and talking and researching for some time about buying
or building a house and while surfing for information about heating
and stoves I found a mention of a 'rocket' stove and following that
thread lead me to cob- it was a revelation!  In so many ways it fits
our ethics, priorities, desires, needs and dreams while eliminating
much of what we assumed were the 'necessary evils' of buying or
building a house (mortgages, realtors, contractors, nasty chemicals
and materials and on and on).  I may have the unrealistic enthusiasm
of a 'newbie' right now, I don't know (and don't care- it's fun and
inspiring).  A cob house, or hybrid including cob, cordwood or
strawbale seems to me to be an avenue to achieving a kind of
responsible, creative and attainable independence along with a
healthy and exciting (and wanted) change of lifestyle.  Anyway, I'm
reading all I can on cobbing and it's related subjects in books, this
list's archives, etc., etc. and we're signing up for a workshop in
the spring.  I've seen The Cobber's Companion by Michael Smith
mentioned and recommended in a lot of places, but have discovered
that it has gone out of print (and people are selling it used for
$100!).  I understand that much of the information is probably also
in the other books like The Hand Sculpted House,  The Cob Builder's
Handbook, etc., but I find that every book has it's own perspective
and unique hints.  I thought I'd post here and see if anyone who has
a copy might be willing to work out a loan arrangement just so I
could read it.  OK, that's all from me for now- I'm sure there will
be much more soon!
Tom Gorman
NY