[Cob] Green insulation?

yew yewberry at wavecable.com
Wed Feb 15 13:13:19 CST 2006

Anna Young wrote:

 >Does this product ring any bells for anyone? We would love to
 >find an insulation for our house roof that is sustainably made,
 >non-toxic, fire-resistant and recyclable..

I think it's kind of like a low-density polyurethane foam (unless I'm
confusing it with some other product).  It's only "green" in the sense
that it saves a lot of energy in heating costs.  I'm not sure whether
there's a non-petrochemical equivalent.  I don't think Icynene is
recyclable, but again, I'm not sure.  I imagine it's just about as
flammable (and as toxic when exposed to fire) as any other type of
petroleum-based foam.

But again, all of this assumes I'm remembering the type of insulation
correctly.  If I'm not, I'm sure someone will happily correct me.  ;)

Brina