[Cob] Stabilizing soil with cement

dirtcheapbuilder-Charmaine Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Wed Feb 15 20:26:25 CST 2006

Rodger- cement will only "coat" the particles, and not bind long term.
    you need to use hydrated lime--  try 2-5% by volume and see how it
holds up.  a chemical  bonding- agglomeration and flocculation occurs
and can  permanently stabilize the soil you have.

do some testing and see how you like it.

On Feb 15, 2006, at 5:13 PM, Rodger Chenoweth wrote:

>  Is it possible to stabilize the soil with small amounts of cement?
> Would it be better to haul in clay from somewhere for making cob?
>
> I guess the bottom line question is whether it is possible to
> stabilize coarse sandy soil such as this with a small enough amount of
> cement to make it cheaper and easier than sourcing out and getting
> clay delivered for making cob?
>
> Many thanks:)
>
> Cheers
> Rodger

Charmaine Taylor Publishing
www.dirtcheapbuilder.com
PO BOX 375 CUTTEN CA 95534
Tel:  707-441-1632   MORE Building DVDs in stock