[Cob] Cob structures and "basements" or sunken floors

David Boyer HasteinD at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 4 04:21:59 CST 2006

Fellow Cobians and wannabes,

   We have recently been informed by a (Linn) County, Oregon building inspector that we can build all the cob cottages we want without a building permit providing they are separated by at least 3 feet; that the highest point of the roof is not more than 10 feet above ground and that they are not larger than 200 square feet. (We want to get this in writing on County stationary/correspondence before we begin construction)   A 200 square ft cob structure would fit our needs if it had 2 stories (400 sq. ft.). A way to get around the 10 foot roof height limit for a 2 story structure would be to have the bottom floor be below ground level at least 2 feet (3 feet would be better).
   No cob construction literature I have read covers the subject matter of below ground living space. No Cob workshop I have seen offered has this topic on the agenda.
    Why?
   Does any one on the cob list have useful suggestions or practical experience building the first floor below ground level using natural building techniques?

Peace,
Joanne and David Boyer
HasteinD at earthlink.net
Why Wait? Move to EarthLink.