[Cob] basements...

aaron allen cobmailbox at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 4 12:29:38 CST 2006

"We have recently been informed by a (Linn) County, Oregon building
inspector that we can build all the cob cottages we want without a
building permit providing they are separated by at least 3 feet"

  this is some great news.! is this only for linn county or would this be a ruleing for all of oregon?  Im in hood river.

  as far as basements are concerned, I think the reason it is very rarely dicussed is because of the load bareing considerations for the basement walls/stemwall.  you need to consider horizontal as well as vertical pressures.  this can be compansated for, as in a retaining wall, where you cut steps into the hillside, and the wall is wider at the top than at the bottom, with a vertical expossed face.  this would require either a lot of stone, or a lot of cement, but I belive it is ultimately attainable.  also drainage would be a major consideration, but also attainable.  I agree with the other list member who thought that berming may be a good answer.
  aaron
  cobmailbox at yahoo.com

Yahoo! Mail