[Cob] Re:Cob structures and "basements" or sunken floors

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 4 12:34:37 CST 2006

Check out Mike Oehler's $50 and up Underground Home book, maybe even some of
his videos.

http://www.undergroundhousing.com/

I do know someone on another list who has used Mike's ideas in conjunction
with cob and rammed earth.  He's very happy with the results.  But his place
is a lot bigger than 200 sf.

Mike has done a lot of work with figuring loads and support, and very
important, daylighting.   He does use polyethylene.  Keeping moisture away
from your shoring timbers, out of your walls is crucial.  (I understand that
this does mean that you are best off USING your underground sections,
heating the space in winter, for instance).

Apparently 200sf is a really good sized apartment in Tokyo, even for a
family.  You get there, I'm told, by not having so much FURNITURE and
different rooms for different purposes--kitchen, dining, living, bed, all
different.  For instance, an apartment there would not likely have permanent
bedrooms, just jold up the tables and chairs and roll out the futons.  That
might even give you enough almost enough storage without being a minimalist
fanatic.  (can you ever have enough room for books?  I don't think so!)

Thomas Gorman wrote (snipped):
I'm interested to hear about cob/below grade construction ideas too.   I
suspect the problem is likely to be with proper drainage, and also  that
there may not be a lot of info/experience with such building  because
digging down so deep would probably require machines that a  lot of natural
builders try to avoid as well as more significantly  'impacting' the
environment the house is in.  You'd also have to  really insulate the
below-grade walls and probably with non-natural  materials to withstand the
damp.  On the other hand, you'd get some  of the thermally regulating
effects of underground houses.